We are pleased to inform you that the electoral process for the election of the African Representatives to the HIC Board for the period 2023-2027 has been successfully concluded. As stipulated, both the nomination and the voting were carried out via e-mail.
Four persons, two women and two men, representing HIC Member organizations, were nominated:
- Mrs Priscilla Achakpa, Women Environmental Programme (Nigeria)
- Mrs Grace Chikumo Mtonga, Civic Forum on Housing et Habitat Zambia (Zambia)
- Mr Moussa Ka, Habitants et Travailleurs Baraka (Senegal)
- Mr Hilary Zhou, Zimbabwe People’s Land Rights Movement (Zimbabwe)
The 4 Candidates accepted their nomination and provided us the requested documents in due time for their campaign.
We sent a call to vote to the membership inviting each member organisation in good standing to vote for one candidate and we received the votes over a period of 14 days.
Of the total of 27 voting organizations registered on the Africa roster at the time of the election, 21 member organizations from 11 countries participated in this process: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Kenya, Mali, Mauritius, Nigeria, South Africa, Senegal, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe
The quorum for this election is, therefore, 77.7%.
The result of the vote is the following:
- Mr Moussa Ka has received 10 votes
- Mrs Grace Chikumo Mtonga received 8 votes
- Mr Hilary Zhou has received 2 votes
- Mrs Pricilla Achakpa has received 1 vote
This result, as established in the electoral rules to guarantee gender balance, and in accordance with HIC founding documents, validates Mr Moussa Ka as Representative, while Mrs Grace Chikumo Mtonga will be the alternate.
We are sure that, together, Moussa and Grace will undertake this representation with great enthusiasm and responsibility, as a team.
We thank all the HIC Members in the region for their participation and congratulate Moussa and Grace for the result.