Two week’s extension of the deadline for the call for applications: HIC Africa Regional Coordinator
Date: 2 diciembre, 2021
New deadline: Friday 14 January 2022, midnight
Preferred location: Nairobi, Kenya
Habitat International Coalition (HIC) is appointing a HIC Africa Regional Coordinator to its General Secretariat (GS) to a) coordinate and consolidate HIC Membership in Africa, b) support the exchange, and co-development of HIC Africa Members’ capacities and c) coordinate HIC advocacy initiatives in Africa.
HIC is looking for a highly organised, strategic, and innovative individual with:
- experience in the non-profit sector and coordination roles
- commitment to community building and networking
- passion for social justice and human rights related to Habitat;
- openness to converse with gender equality work and inclusion in relation to habitat;
- excellent writing and strong communication skills in English and French;
- the ability to work in a global and multicultural environment with care, sensitivity and respect.
- experience in grant writing and project management, and liaising with international donors for project support.
- the ability to impart and manage the exchange of information among diverse audiences, ranging from social movements to UN institutions
- a commitment to advocacy and sharing knowledge of human rights and development conditions and relevant international processes at the regional and international levels;
Your communication and coordination skills must enable you to work well in collaborative processes, especially networking with and reporting to HIC Africa Members and HIC structures such as the HIC Board, General Secretariat, HIC-America Latina, HIC-Middle East North Africa and the Housing and Land Rights Network. You will also collaborate with other international civil society organizations, networks and grassroots groups, facilitate the learning of relevant knowledge and skills, and anticipate and solve problems in a friendly and proactive manner.
This position is full time, starting on 1 February 2022.
The preferred location identified by HIC Africa Members is Nairobi, Kenya.
Excellent candidates in other locations in Africa will be considered.
Habitat International Coalition (HIC)
HIC is the global, independent and non-profit network working for habitat-related rights and social justice through the defence, promotion and realisation of human rights related to habitat and the right to a safe place to live in peace and with dignity, both in urban and rural areas. Through solidarity, networking and advocacy support for social movements and organisations, influencing public policies and the international agenda, HIC works to develop and fulfil transformative practices, norms and standards across HIC Member competence: human rights related to habitat, in particular housing and land, social production of habitat, gender equality and equity; environmental justice. Visit www.hic-net.org for more information.
Functions of HIC Africa Coordinator
a) Consolidate the Coalition and HIC Membership in Africa.
b) Support the exchange, communication and co-development of HIC Africa Members’ capacities.
c) Coordinate and support HIC local, regional and subregional advocacy initiatives in Africa.
While the HIC Africa Regional Coordinator will be hosted by the General Secretariat for institutional support, the scope and focus of this position is specifically on the HIC Africa region.
Among others, the HIC Africa Coordinator:
a) Consolidates the Coalition and HIC Membership in Africa:
- Coordinates membership mapping, needs assessment, recruitment and orientation in Africa, in close collaboration with HIC GS Membership Coordinator
- Coordinates and facilitates membership strategy and priorities in Africa through the development of regional / subregional strategic plans
- Coordinates and channels regular communication with HIC Members across sub-Saharan Africa to keep the membership informed of developments and events of mutual concern;
- Collaborates with and supports regional working groups and focal points
- Assists Coalition-wide coordination efforts among HIC Reference Centers and the General Secretariat,
- Contributes to building strategy at Board meetings and implementing regional priorities
- Reports to, and interacts with donors and project Partners;
b) Supports the exchange, communication and co-development of HIC Africa Members’ capacities:
- Supports and facilitates HIC Africa Member participation in capacity development and offers strategic and regional support to HIC co-learning spaces;
- Convenes subregional dialogues or exchange visites
c) Coordinates and supports HIC local, regional and subregional advocacy initiatives in Africa:
- Liaises and coordinates with HIC Members and Allies on advocacy efforts;
- Assists in production of reports and other submissions to UN Human Rights and Development System bodies and agencies;
- Follows the African Union Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, including HIC observer-status application;
- Contributes to region related content for websites, contacts database and social media (e.g., Facebook, twitter)
The HIC Africa Coordinator is expected to work collaboratively with HIC Africa Members, within the GS and with the HIC Coordinators. S/he is expected to work with, respect and empower partners, colleagues and communities in a sensitive and participatory manner. HIC staff set high standards of performance for themselves and assume responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments and tasks. The Africa Coordinator will work in an environment that respects and promotes diversity and seeks to fully benefit from each individual’s unique qualities and diverse working cultures.
Qualifications and competencies
Education and work experience: Substantial experience working with civil society and demonstrated understanding of the potential as well as hazards of working in this sector. Advanced degree in human rights, social science, law or a related field, is preferred; candidates with undergraduate-level education and relevant experience will also be considered. A minimum of five to eight years of relevant experience is required.
Computer skills: Excellent working knowledge of online software suites such as Google, and Word, Excel, Powerpoint, online meeting/webinar tools such as Zoom, social media and communication platforms is required.
Communication Skills: Well-developed written and oral communication and listening skills in English and French (skills in other relevant languages will be valued); able to communicate clearly, sensitively, passionately and effectively with diverse audiences; able to coordinate among Members located around Africa.
Personal skills: highly organised, strong interpersonal communication abilities, good time management and ability to prioritise tasks, respectful and tolerant, innovative, critical and lateral thinker, proactive and takes initiative, reflexive learner. Integrity, maintaining ethical and organizational norms, capacity for sound operational decision making.
Work Conditions and Location
The preferred location of the HIC Africa Regional Coordinator is Nairobi, Kenya with the majority of work conducted online. The successful candidate is expected to work across different time zones in Africa and globally and be willing to travel (e.g. in-person engagements with HIC Africa Members’ and advocacy initiatives), where possible and pending local and international Covid-19 restrictions. Salary commensurate with applicant’s experience and includes benefits (which will need to be organised by the successful candidate). The work will be on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) for 1-year with a possibility of extension.
Applicants are invited to send (1) a cover letter elaborating on their suitability, motivation to apply for the above position and salary expectation / salary of last position held ; (2) a CV outlining relevant experience and skills; and (3) the contact details of at least two references.
Applications must be submitted by Friday 14 January 2022 (midnight) to email@example.com, and addressed to HIC Secretary General, Yolande Hendler.
Please e-mail applications in Word or PDF format, with ‘HIC Africa Coordinator Recruitment’ in the subject line.
Important note: only qualified applicants will be shortlisted and contacted.