The Seventh International Law Summer School from Al-Haq is addressed to professionals, legal researchers, post-graduates and academics in the fields of international law and human rights. This year program will run entirely online from 31st May – 12th June 2021.
Do you want to learn about the legal and human rights situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory?
This summer school is a unique opportunity for professionals interested in the Palestinian context, history and future of the Occupied Palestinian Territories.
The training aims to help professionals develop a coherent understanding of the legal and human rights situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT) by closely studying the application of international law in the territory.
The summer school also includes virtual field visits to various locations, giving participants the opportunity to see and hear first-hand accounts of violations committed by different state and non-state actors.
The training includes lectures by human rights practitioners, civil society organisations and human rights groups on key human rights issues and trends of violations witnessed in the OPT. This year the programme will be conducted online through morning and afternoon lectures in English.
What topics will the sessions cover?
- Historical overview of the Palestinian struggle;
- International human rights framework applicable in the OPT;
- International humanitarian framework applicable in the OPT;
- Business and Human Rights in the OPT;
- Current human rights situation and developments in the OPT;
- The historic and ongoing displacement “Nakba” of the Palestinian people.
- International accountability mechanisms;
Who is organizing?
Al-Haq is an independent Palestinian non-governmental human rights organization based in Ramallah, OPT and a HIC Member. Established in 1979, Al-Haq’s mission is to protect and promote human rights and the rule of law in the. The organization monitors and documents violations of human rights, conducts legal research; human rights education; prepares reports, studies and interventions against the violations of international human rights and humanitarian law in the OPT; and undertakes advocacy before local, regional and international bodies.
For more info:
- Watch the Summer School introductory video here.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter to: email@example.com, no later than 9 of May.
- Application deadline: 9 May 2021
- Selection and confirmation of participation: by 15 May 2021
- Online program: 31 May – 12 June 2021