The in-person event will take place on Wednesday, 8th March 2023 from 4:30PM EST at the Church Center for the United Nations (CCUN) 11th Floor. Please see the attached flyer for more details.
The priority theme of the 67th session of the Commision on the Status of Women is ‘Innovation and technological change, and education in the digital age for achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls’. Guided by this, our HIC event will focus on the topic, ‘Digital Inclusion for all: Key to achieving gender equality and the empowerment of Women and Girls in the access, use, ownership and control of land and habitat related rights’. This event has been designed to examine the role of digital inclusion in achieving gender equality and the empowerment of women in the use, access and control of land and habitat related rights. The session will explore the role of digital learning and facilitate the cross-regional exchange of experience of community-led social and technological innovations for equitable, safer and democratic cities. Further, the event will highlight digital strategies for the acceleration of SDG 5 on gender equality and discuss opportunities for policy action to strengthen digital inclusion for gender equality in the global south.
The HIC side event is co-organized with the HIC Women and Habitat Africa Working Group (WHAWG) and the Speakers include
- Ms. Liliane Nkunzimana, Representative to the UN Baha’i International Community, & Secretary, NGO Committee on Social Development, New York,
- Ms. Yolande Hendler, General Secretary, Habitat International Coalition, South Africa,
- Ms. Mary Balikungeri, Director and Founder, Rwanda Women’s Network Rwanda,
- Ms. Farzana Safiullah, Chief Executive Officer, National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, USA.
- The event will be facilitated by Dr. Ifeyinwa Ofong Representative to the United Nations & Convener, HIC Women and Habitat Africa Working Group
- The event will be moderated by Ms. Makiko Tagashira, Division for Inclusive Social Development (DISD) UNDESA, USA.